Tips if you're having problems with your garbage disposal unit.
How to unjam your garbage disposal unit:
- Make sure the disposal switch is in the “OFF” position and the unit is unplugged (under the sink)
- Use an Allen wrench on the hexagonal bolt on the bottom of the unit to manually turn the disposal.
- Once unjammed, use pliers or similar tool to remove any object causing the issue. Remove the wrench and plug the unit back in.
- Gently press the red button to reset the unit.
- Turn on a stream of cold water and turn the switch on the disposal to the “on” position.
Items to avoid putting into disposal:
- Fibrous, starchy or hard leftovers, especially bones
- Coffee grounds
- Egg shells
- Grease, oil, fat or greasy foods
- Bleach or commercial drain cleaners
- Your fingers
- Always use with cool (not hot) running water and allow water to run for 20–30 seconds after turning off disposal to clear all waste
- Slowly feed small bits of food into the disposal; avoid large amounts all at once
- Keep the disposal running for a few seconds after you hear the food being ground up to ensure it clears
- Run disposal every few days even if you don’t have food to grind to keep blades from rusting and ensure food particles are washed out
- Clean and freshen with warm (not hot) water and cut up lemons